Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stand up for ourselves VS Judgemental

Insipired by emails from my family and by most of life's experience.

What is the different between stand up to my self and being judgemental?

I always believe we must stand up for our own self , our own beliefs, opinion or point a view. But not being jugmental to others with different beliefs, opinions, point of views than us .

I am not going to talk about religions over here. As I believe ( and my parents taught me ) no religion wants to teach the people to do wrong things. It a mixture of personal background, education , view in life , that can determine someone's act. Not just religion it self.

Same goes with race. Though in our socieaty just because one orange is sour , we tend to judge the whole basket of oranges are all sour . Which is not true.

Let's start with parenting style. I am sure every one have their own parenting skills/style. But doesn't mean those who has different parenting style with me are wrong.
I am pro breastfeeding 100%, and try to encourage people to do it, but if I know one mom who doesnt breastfeed , I will not think that she is a bad mom either. People have the right to choose.

I am not pro abortion, but if someone I know choose that, It is their life and I won't judge them. It is just something I won't do. But again they don't live my live , vice versa.

Just because I use cloth diapers, doesn't mean that other moms who use disposable are wrong.
I am 100% pro cloth diapering, and support it , that is obvious :). But I won't make negative comments or sacrastic comments on someone who doesn't use that. I will give some informations about that, explain the benefits and all, but at the end of the day, it is up to them to choose.

I will not do piercing beside ear piercing, but that doesn't mean those with piercing are negative people. Same with tattoo. I don't think I will ever do it, but some one with tattoo is cool for me .

I do not eat certain food, but I won't make disgusted faces if someone eat something that I don't like. ( except if they eat dogs or cat or scorpions . YIKES :D )

I don't go to church ( often) , but that doesn't mean I am bad person. I believe in my religion, and I pray and the most important I try to do a right gestures to other, to show that I care, to do something that I can for help.

Same with someone vegetarian, if other are not vegetarian, they shouldn't make face when others eat meat.

Same goes with someone sexuality. I am more into honestly and expecting themself and feel comfortable in their own skin.Again it is all go back to each individual.

How many of us ever witness the hypocrite in the society? Or with the news we read in the newspaper? Someone who looks so wise and religious , did something outrageously wrong ?Someone respectfull in the community rape his own niece? Some politician who againts gay marriage turned out to be gay himself?

Or someone to be appread like no body did some heroic act ?

So there is a line between stand up to yourself and being judgemental .

What is my concern is that now a days the children are being judgemental. The wants to fit in the " social life". Parents want their kids to fit nicely in the "box". Make the children think , that someone who lives or has a point a view outside the "box" are bad and should be made fun of.

It is important to teach our children to stand up for their opinion and the most important to themself, never afraid to express themself in positive way, be who they are as person. It is important to teach them the value of " respecting" others. It is more important than to be the number in the class , or to be the prettiest, most fashion forward kid in the class. Again... not to say that the number 1 in the class, the prettiest, or the most fashion forward kid in the class are wrong ....

" It is not what you say, but how you say it ....."









4 comments:

Unknown said...

Another good one, Sandra. Reading this makes me realize how difficult it actually is to teach and mould our kids so they could fit and survive in today's society and world.

I dont believe in forcing my children to always be tops in class. With Amsyar having mild dyslexia, that's out of the question already (and I'm okay with it). I just want them to enjoy childhood, and the time with us, while they can.

I've had my share of ups and downs all these years, especially in school and college..but I'm grateful that I turned out fine (I think hee hee). I hope our kids will turn out strong and fine too :)

chanelwong said...

Sandra....in short, I have to agree with you.. We just share share openly and adapt what is good to our lifestyle...There is nothing right or wrong...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

SOHOMama
yes know it is more challenging to raise our kids. Beside the moral values, they also need to be able to accept certain things and don't always think they are " more" than others. Because there are always people who has MORE. And ultimately there is HIM.

U are one brave mom. Dyslexia is one most common things . And doesn't mean that ppl wth dyslexia are not smart.
Sadly.. people did judge if one is smart or not by the capability to READ or WRITE as the earliest age as possible.

Chanel
Glad that you agree. In this society, too bad some people are still sceptical about something.

What I learn , is that , if we respond with calm and dignity, they will also eventually see us as someone they can respect.
(hopefully)

:) good day all

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Le nostre gioia