Saturday, March 28, 2009

Does it matter?

Yes it is still about the Earth Hour. I think some people got it wrong.
How can we save global warming by just turning off the light for one hour?

That is why it is been so easy to criticized . Well again, if you are really interested in this whole thing, we all should read more. Knowledge is power.

The act of turning off the light is symbolic. But just because an act is symbolic doesn't mean it empty.

" The only way to truly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, to take the pressure off global warming, is an international regime that puts a cap and a price on climate pollution. And the only way that will happen is if politicians around the world become convinced that climate change is an issue that matters to people, one that will make them change the way they live, buy — and vote. "Unlike most of the issues that we grapple with, climate change is global," said Roberts. "The pressure is on us to do the right thing." If shutting off the lights for an hour on a Saturday night and doing yoga in the dark makes that political support, well, visible, then Earth Hour will have been worth it."

"The environmental movement is reaching a delicate moment. We're well past the point where going green is novel, where just doing your bit to save the Earth deserves endless praise. We've become inured to the existence of global warming, to its inconvenient truth, yet we sense that the solutions we've been given — change a light bulb, change your life — fall far short of the scale of the problem. We risk green fatigue because, after all, what can we do about it? But this is the moment when we need to keep pushing in every way we can. The technologies that will help us decarbonize energy are developing, but they need a push — and that will only happen if we keep climate change near the top of our political agenda. Earth Hour, Earth Day, Earth Year — we'll need it all."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1725947,00.html




So the bottom line is : we need to create awareness about this issue and hopefully the government will be more active to support and help to reduce global warming. ( like more support of recycling here in Sabah? or provide better public transport? I know it a long way to go, but at least the awareness is there.)

Hopefully after the Earth Hour, we will be more aware to save our natural resources,. save more electricity, save more water, use less plastic bags, recycle more.

It is not WHAT WILL YOU DO DURING THE EARTH HOUR. BUT WHAT WILL YOU DO AFTER THE EARTH HOUR.....

How about to turn off most of the light in your house once a month?or no TV for Tuesday night from 9 onwards? or off the ceiling fan when no one is in the room? Or don't let the water run while you brush your teeth? Don't shower more than 10 minutes? bring your own bags when you do shopping? Use less Air con? Going with someone to work, I know it is very common that one household has 4-5 cars, and that will be alot of help if we can reduce about 20 % of the carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. How about we change our bulbs? Choose house appliance that save in water ( washing machine or dish washer ) and save in electricity ( Refrigerator , PC, TV etc). And using cloth diapers and cloth pads!! ! :-D

The list are endless.... and I won't say I will do it all precisely And I am not saying that I am a environmentalist, I am just a human being ....but I try....to change the way I live , one step at the time....

It might sound stupid for some people....but ....again I am just one person.





Happy week end , every one!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Le nostre gioia