Jokes aside, it's not always been easy. I admit that. But we love the flexibility of home schooling, I think if she ever go to regular school, that what we will miss the most. :FLEXIBILITY and the opportunity for her to be her self , to express her self without being force into the stereo type of what girls her age should behave and should do.
My second girl is still going to local bi-lingual school. Her Mandarin level is very impressive I must say. My 2 girls socialization skills is great too. They can just make friends in a snap. So that is another example to burst the myth : HS kid will have social problem. Well not in Indy's case. I think the more she grow , the more she amazed me with her ability to make friends , to care about other or even to start conversation. I think someone ability to socialize has nothing to do with how she is educated, it's more from her personality .
She is joining the Girl Scouts this year. And I will co-lead with other parents as volunteer. We are both super excited for this. Since she is homeschool, we must join the troop that is under other private school. There are 6 girls including herself. And all of them , of course, come from the same school and know each other. I was worry at first that Indy will not fit in or will be ignored. But to my amazement, in a matter of minutes , the 6 of them are playing like best friends, laughing at Indy's silly jokes, and running around. 2 of the girls are still shy when they need to introduce themselves . Some are so shy that the mother need to stand up next to them to help them speak. But Indy, she just stood up and say : Hi everyone, I am Indy, I am 8, I am homeschooled, and that is my mom over there. , and my naughty lil sister over there. And my b'day is coming soon!
I mean she didn't make an " outstanding" speech but I admire her confident and to be able to do simple public speaking. I think that is was I, my self, lacked of as a student. I didn't have that much of opportunity to do public speaking in front of the class. Our old style system was still, teacher talk, student must be silent and listening ( ermm in most cases : teacher talk, student daydreaming ^_^)
So speaking of girl scouts I think she will have wonderful time . As the GS encourage the activities to be girls lead. Not leader lead. The leader will guide them but not telling them what to do. Leader will help them in a way but the last decision is on their hands.
This is my first time to volunteer, I respect and admire other mom volunteers, and I am glad to be part of them too. I still have lots of things to learn, a lot of question to ask, a lot of mistakes to be make. But I come with open heart, open mind, and I checked out my ego at the door. I come to see and learn and try my best. To push my own boundaries :)
The Girl Scout Law
On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country
To help people at all times
And to live by the Girl Scout Law
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be honest and fair
,friendly and helpful, considerate and caring,
courageous and strong
and responsible for what I say and do.
And to respect my self and others, respect authority
use resources wisely
make the world a better place
and to be a sister to every Girl Scout.
1 comment:
it is great to know the kids are doing well...
Post a Comment